The report considers current skills and training standards in the aviation sector, to see how they can adapt to new technologies. To do this, the researchers engaged with the aviation industry to:
- establish the current roles, skills, and entry-routes in or into the aviation sector
- assess the sector’s future skills needs
It helped identify some actions for the Department for Transport (DfT), the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and the industry to consider, including:
- updating aviation apprenticeship standards so the sector has training provisions fit for the future
- improving accessibility and young people’s perceptions of the sector through collaboration
- emphasising the importance of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) outreach initiatives through leadership
This research provides evidence to support Generation Aviation – the UK’s aviation skills development programme.
Connected Places Catapult produced this independent report for DfT. The analysis and findings of this report represent the views of the industry and researchers, not those of DfT.