IATA 2020 Safety Report
Montreal – The International Air Transport Association (IATA) announced the publication of the 2020 Safety Report and released data for the 2020 safety performance of the commercial airline industry.
- The total number of accidents decreased from 52 in 2019 to 38 in 2020.
- The total number of fatal accidents decreased from 8 in 2019 to 5 in 2020.
- The all accident rate was 1.71 accidents per million flights. This is higher than the 5-year (2016-2020) average rate which is 1.38 accidents per million flights.
- IATA member airlines’ accident rate was 0.83 per million flights, which was an improvement over the 5-year average rate of 0.96.
- Total flight operations reduced by 53% to 22 million in 2020.
- Fatality risk remained unchanged compared to the five-year average at 0.13.